Monday, March 16, 2009

WORLD MATHS DAY 2009

For the past two years my students have participated in World Maths Day and they have enjoyed each and every moment.  For two weeks prior to the event my students "practiced" what they would see on March 4th.  They competed against students from around the world via sixty- second math fact quizzes.  The more answers they got right the better, but they had to be careful and not "strike out!"  I was impressed with how excited my students were with the competition date drawing nearer and nearer.  

Then, the day arrived!  We booked the computer lab for two hours and off they went.  My plan was to map each country as they came in, but there was NO way I could do it!  The new countries were coming in faster than I could locate them on GoogleMaps and record them.  I resorted to the old fashioned white board and Expo marker!  I later transferred the information and this map is what we ended up with.

Our plan is now to complete the map throughout the rest of the year.  We are going to research each of the countries that were represented.  Are you from one of them?  Do you know someone who is?  We would love to interview you via skype!  Please fill out this form if you are interested in helping.  I can't wait to share the final product.

No comments: